By: ABBOTT LAW GROUP
Share This Post
Duval County Pedestrian Crashes Statistics
Eight out of the 10 most-dangerous metro areas for pedestrians are in Florida, and Jacksonville in Duval County was the sixth most-dangerous metro area with 419 pedestrian deaths from 2008 to 2017, according to the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Report.
In the past decade, the number of people struck and killed while walking increased by 35 percent nationwide. Florida is the deadliest state in America to walk and older Floridians are especially at risk.
Many of the pedestrian fatalities occurred late in the evening after sunset, and the NHTSA is working on a number of recommendations to protect pedestrians and prevent pedestrian injuries and deaths.
Pedestrian Crashes and Fatalities in Duval County 2015-2017
Traffic Safety Facts For 2017
- More pedestrian fatalities occurred in the dark (75%) than in daylight.
- The highest percentage of pedestrian fatalities occurred from 6 to 9 p.m.
- The most affected age group is 50-59.
- More than two-thirds of the pedestrians killed in traffic were males.
- An estimated 32 percent of fatal pedestrian crashes involve a pedestrian with a blood alcohol concentration of .08 g/dL or higher.
- Most pedestrians were struck by the front of the vehicle.
Important Safety Reminders For Pedestrians and Drivers
- Look out for pedestrians at all times
- Slow down in pedestrian areas
- Be patient with seniors
- Use extra precautions in bad weather
- Do not pass vehicles stopped at a crosswalk
- Cross the street at designated crosswalks or intersections
- Walk in well-lit areas
- Increase your visibility at night by carrying reflective clothing or flashlight
- It’s safest to walk on a sidewalk
- Don’t expect drivers to see you
Determining Fault After a Pedestrian Accident
When a pedestrian accident occurs, it might be the driver’s or pedestrian’s fault, or the parties might share fault. Our experienced pedestrian accident attorneys can help you review your case, determine your best options, and prepare your lawsuit for trial in case the negotiations fail.
If you or a loved one was injured or died in a pedestrian accident, call us at (904) 292-1111 for a FREE consultation.