Bicycle Accident Attorneys Jacksonville
Have you been seriously injured in a bicycle accident due to someone’s negligence? Our bicycle accident attorneys at Abbott Law Group in Florida have helped many cyclists to hold the at-fault party liable for the injuries, medical bills, and pain and suffering. Call us at 904.292.1111 to receive a free and confidential case evaluation. If your case meets the criteria for eligibility to file a lawsuit, we will fight to obtain the maximum compensation to which you may be legally entitled.
When a negligent driver fails to use care and injures a person in a bicycle accident or causes a death, the driver is liable for injuring the bicyclist. Florida is the most dangerous state in the nation for bicycle accidents, and Floridians are more than twice likely to be killed or injured than in any other state. Cycling accidents result in very serious injuries, including brain injury, broken bones, amputations, and death.
Bicycle Accident Lawsuit
Depending on the cause of your bicycle accident, the most common types of lawsuits are negligence and product liability.
If the driver acted carelessly behind the wheel and/or violated traffic laws, the driver may be held liable in a negligence lawsuit. Common acts of negligence in a bicycle accident include:
- The driver was not careful
- Driving while distracted
- Careless, aggressive and reckless driving
- The driver’s conduct caused injuries
- The bicyclist suffered losses and/or was injured
- Failure to yield right of way
- Driving in bicycle lane
- Backing out of driveway
- Driving while under the influence
- Driving over the speed limit
- Running red lights
- A failure to use turn signal appropriately
If a bicycle defect contributed to the accident, you may file a lawsuit claim against the bicycle manufacturer.
Bicycle Accident Statistics
- There were 818 pedalcyclist deaths in 2015
- 70% of pedalcyclist who died in motor vehicle crashes died in urban areas
- The fatality rate is 6 times higher for males than females in 2015
- Alcohol involvement was reported in 37 % of all fatal pedalcyclist crashes
- During weekdays, the highest frequency of pedalcyclist fatalities was from 3pm to 6pm
- During weekends, most fatalities werre between 6pm and 9pm
- The average age of pedalcyclist killed in traffic crash was 45
- Pedalcyclist 55 to 59 years old had the highest fatality rate
- Pedalcyclist were impacted by the front of the vehicle in 84 % of the fatal crashes
- The most dangerous city in Florida was Jacksonville with 125 fatalities
What To Do After A Bicycle Accident
If you have been injured while riding your bicycle, please seek medical attention right away, and call our bicycle accident attorneys at (904) 292-1111 to get legal help.
- Call the police if you are injured
- Seek immediate medical attention for your injuries
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident
- Get contact information from any witnesses
- Preserve evidence, keep your bike in the same state as after the accident
- Contact your attorney before you call your auto insurance
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration – Bicyclist Traffic Safety Facts
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – Bicycle Safety
Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center – Bicyclist Crash Statistics